Thursday, March 11, 2010

Stranger in town


Why don't people listen to music anymore? And I mean people, not audiophile snobs that bicker with each other about what gauge of speaker wire produces the truest, most neutral sound. Those geeks wouldn't know good music if they were slapped by a Stradivarius, but by God they can wire a circuit.

No, what I mean is this. When I was a younger fellow, I would buy my newest record (remember those?) take it home, set it on the stereo, and LISTEN to it. It was an event. If the artist were an old favourite, the question was, where had they taken themselves from the last record? If it were a new one, it was time to find out if they had more to offer than that hit single I'd heard on the radio. There were liner notes to be read, lyrics sheets to pour over, gatefold lp covers, with booklets, and posters, and pictures galore.

I'll take it further-house guests would be asked if they would like to listen to some music. "Would you like to hear the new Stones album? What about Darkness On The Edge Of Town? It's great" Does anyone do that now? Do people invite their friends to listen to Jay-Z with them? A little Sound Tribe Sector Nine? I just don't see it. Music has become background noise, people pump through crappy sounding headphones, at high volumes to drown out the sound of the lawnmower, as they mindlessly shove it around the lawn.

Or maybe I'm just old and bitter...

2 comments:

  1. It just so happens that I've had music playing for the last couple of hours tonight. Not something I do that often, but I really like the way it's making me feel. It's relaxing and enjoyable. Granted, it's not an album, not even a CD. It's iTunes. And it's playing through my MacBook Pro. But still... And right now I'm listening to the new Vampire Weekend album, Contra. I saw them on Saturday Night Live and really liked their sound. So far I'm not disappointed.

    Hey, congrats on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to think I still listen to music, but admit I don't hang on new releases of a artist anymore. Ihear something, maybe once or twice and decide if I want to find out more. I have my kids to keep me current, since I am far too old to be hip.

    ReplyDelete