Monday, March 29, 2010

He Ain't Heavy


But I am...update on the continuing battle of the bulge.
It is amazing how the body swings up and down weight wise. I had been steadily losing weight, almost predictably, you might say. Every other day or so, a pound would magically be gone. Well this weekend was a lost cause, and illustrates why my personal battle with weight is such a bastard.

I had been quite religious in the Weight Watchers point system, and that, combined with a regular 45 to 60 minutes exercise a day had yielded the desire results. This weekend I strayed. I would like to say horribly, but that isn't really true, and that is what makes the inevitable weight gain all the more sobering, and somewhat more depressing.

Friday was Dad's birthday, and though I ate properly for breakfast and lunch, dinner was at Bartolino's, and it must be said I ate well. Not crazy, but I didn't really count calories, if you know what I mean. Breaded and grilled shrimp, roasted red peppers, a honking big salad w/cheese and some kind of delicious house dressing. Oh, and two cookies. Compared to my old eating habits, this was pretty light, but it still wasn't really inside WW's parameters.

Saturday saw me eat a bit more-namely 3 stick pretzels, a banana, a cinnamon scone from Bread Co, and the complete WW destroyer, a meal at Zia's-crostini, house salad, and fettuccine carbonara (of which I ate half)...washed down with my half of a bottle of wine. Add in Sunday's bagel w/low-fate cream cheese, pulled pork nachos, and large chicken pot pie (again, I only ate half of it), and that's it. To compare it to my previous dietary norms, it was reasonably healthy, and not that large a quantity. I did swim for an hour on Friday, forty five minutes on Saturday, and moved heavy furniture and scrubbed out a couple of appliances on Sunday, so it wasn't a case of lying around doing nothing.

And what did this net me? A three pound weight gain. Again-I know I wasn't eating the lowest calorie foods-but I wasn't being a poster child for sloth, and I wasn't indulging in ice cream, snickers bars, bags of potato chips, and pies or cakes, either. I ate what I would consider "normal people" food, at normal people portions. And got a decent amount of exercise. Three damned pounds...wow. No wonder I'm a fat ass. Oh well, back to the tofu and wheat germ ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Andrew. I'm no expert, but I think it's a good idea to mix it up a bit and to give yourself a break here and there. I find that my weight loss accelerates after a few days of eating well following a day of NOT eating well. Hardly scientific, but you gotta live.

    Think big picture, man. No pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're right Tom. This morning was one of those "damn it" mornings. Yesterday everything eaten was healthy, and reasonable in portion. Walked two miles, swam 45 minutes...and gained a pound. I just tell myself "it's muscle mass, and weighs more than fat!!"

    ReplyDelete